We're calling on everyone to use their eyes, especially for those who can't. Use your #cycleyes!
Guide Dogs is asking cyclists to bear in mind the following five points:
Tweet #cycleyes and raise awareness
- Pay attention – look to see if the guide dog and owner, or person with a cane are waiting to cross. Remember that they can’t always see or hear you.
- If you see the guide dog and owner or person with a cane waiting to cross, use your bell and call out to let them know you’re there.
- If the guide dog and owner or cane user are already crossing the road, please stop and wait until they've reached the other side.
- Do not cycle up behind or around the guide dog and owner, no matter how much space you think you’ve given them. The dog may be startled and get confused.
- If you need to use the pavement for any reason, please dismount. Bumping off the kerb onto the road can scare and confuse the guide dog.