- You are here:
- Training & Fundraising >
Thank you for choosing to fundraise for Guide Dogs. We have put together some useful hints and tips to help get you started with your fundraising and reach your target.
The quickest and easiest way to get you started is to set up your own online fundraising page, and it’s totally free of charge.
Our online fundraising partners send your donations straight to Guide Dogs, and reclaim Gift Aid automatically, saving you the hassle of chasing your sponsors.
We've teamed up with JustGiving and Virgin Money Giving, and you can set a page up in just a few minutes!
- Click on one of the links above to JustGiving or Virgin Money Giving.
- Choose ‘make your page’ on JustGiving, or 'Start fundraising' on Virgin Money Giving.
- Follow the simple steps to choose the event you're doing, set up an account and start fundraising online, it takes just five minutes to do.
- Once your page is set up, you can personalise your page with a message or photo – if you haven’t got one of yourself use an image of a guide dog partnership or puppy which we can provide you with.
- Promote your page as much as you can – send it to all of your email contacts, add it to your Facebook or Twitter profile, and use it as your email footer.
If you need any help or advice with your fundraising or setting up your online giving page, please call us on 0345 143 0200.
We’ve put together some ideas to get you inspired and ready to fundraise. Just remember, the more you raise, the bigger difference Guide Dogs can make to blind and partially sighted people across the UK.
When you register to be part of Team Guide Dogs, you will receive a welcome pack containing a sponsorship form. Take it with you to work, university or any social occasion and ask everyone to sponsor you.
Find out if your company offers Matched Giving. Some will donate £1 for every £1 you raise.
Why not take on your very own blindfold challenge, and ask your friends and family to sponsor you? You might choose to eat a three course meal blindfolded, visit the supermarket, or go to the cinema and experience a film.
Why not organise a cake sale or bake off at work. Its great way to get your colleagues involved in your fundraising, and nobody can resist a tea time treat!
Cheese and Wine
A great idea for any time of the year. A simple way to enjoy an evening with friends, family or neighbours, and tell them all about your challenge.
Dress for donations
Why not ask if you can have a dress down day at work to support your challenge, and ask your colleagues to donate. You could even choose a fancy dress theme for the day.
Organise a quiz night and ask teams to pay an entry fee. You could ask a local business to donate a prize.
Volunteer to wash the cars of colleagues, neighbours and friends for a fee. You could even organise a car washing event and ask your friends to help you.
Get together with friends and use this as a way they can update their wardrobe for free. Ask friends to bring clothes along to swap, and make a donation to you for hosting.
Organise a tournament of your favourite sport, asking teams to pay an entry fee, or set up an adult sports day, including all of those old favourites, like the egg and spoon race.
Car boot sale
Take the opportunity to have a spring clean and do a car boot sale to go towards your fundraising target.
Paying in your fundraising
There are many ways you can pay in the funds you have raised through your event.
In all situations, please ensure that we receive copies of your completed sponsor forms, so that we can claim Gift Aid wherever possible on your donation. That means for every £1 you raise, the taxman gives us an extra 25p - so our income from your donations increases by almost a third. Please encourage your sponsors to tick the Gift Aid box on your form!
- Using an income voucher, sent to you with your fundraising pack, which you can send to us along with your cheques and sponsor forms
- Using a paying-in slip at any branch of HSBC, or paying the funds directly to Guide Dogs using your internet or telephone banking. For more information call us on 0345 143 0200
- You can pay your offline sponsorship directly onto your online fundraising page
- Making your donation by credit or debit card over the phone. For more information call us on 0345 143 0200
Please pass on our thanks to everyone who has supported you in your fundraising for Guide Dogs. Do tell us about your experience of fundraising through your event.