- You are here:
Inspiring future technologies for everyone
In 2013 Guide Dogs and Microsoft created a film entitled A Family Day Out. In the 15-minute film we meet Bill, who is blind, and see how he plans and carries out a day-trip from Reading to London for himself and his family in a future that's enabled for blind and partially-sighted people.
The film shows some of the approaches and technologies that might be available in the future to enable Bill in his task. There are five different phases to the film, based on research undertaken by Guide Dogs:
- Plan and prepare: we see Bill at home preparing his journey using voice-activated on-line systems
- Travel and disruption: Bill and his family take a bus and then a train to London, successfully navigating their way down busy streets, to the correct seats on the train and across crowded train concourses to the London Underground
- Rich immersive experience: the family go round London's Natural History Museum together and learn about the creatures on display
- Open space: the group enjoys a picnic in the park
- Shopping and social: Bill buys a present for his wife Jenny before they all head back to Reading.
At the end of 2013, following the launch of the film, Guide Dogs and Microsoft teamed up with Future Cities Catapult to research and pilot some of the concepts displayed in the film, to prove their potential and added value. The Programme of work is called Cities Unlocked.
If you would like to find out more please contact - Caoilfhionn Lee - email@example.com