Gift Aid

What is Gift Aid?

It's a scheme introduced by the government which allows charities to reclaim the tax that supporters have already paid on their donations. For every £1 donated, the taxman gives us an extra 25p, so our income from your donations increases by an extra quarter. We can only claim on donations made within the last four years' tax unclaimed before this will be lost forever, so please act now.

Why 25p per £1?

It's linked to the current basic rate of income tax (which is currently 20 per cent). As a basic rate taxpayer, for every £1.25 you earn, you will pay 25p to the taxman and receive £1 in your pocket. It is this 25p we claim.

Am I eligible?

If you are a UK taxpayer and have paid enough income or capital gains tax in the UK, in relation to the financial year, to cover the amount we’ll reclaim, then yes: please complete a Gift Aid declaration.

Please note if you become ineligible in the future due to ceasing to pay enough tax to cover the gift aid recovered on all gifts you have made to charities and community amateur sports clubs then we need to draw your attention to the HMRC guidance in section 25(8) Finance Act 1990 which states: “Where the tax treated as deducted from a gift by virtue of subsection (6) above exceeds [sic ref section 25(6) FA1990] the amount of income tax and capital gains tax with which the donor is charged for the year of assessment, the donor shall be assessable and chargeable with income tax at the basic rate on so much of the gift as is necessary to recover an amount of tax equal to the excess.” Please ensure therefore that you inform us if you are no longer an eligible tax payer so we can update our records appropriately.

Where can I get a Gift Aid declaration form?

Below we have posted Gift Aid declaration forms in both Word and PDF formats for you to download. Please complete one of these forms and return it to the address specified at the bottom of the form.

Gift Aid form - Word document

Gift Aid form - PDF

What if I'm a pensioner?

We can still claim the full 25 per cent on your donations, providing you pay at least as much tax as we will be reclaiming in the year in which you made your gifts. As a pensioner, for example, you may still pay tax on a private pension scheme or a savings account, or pay Capital Gains Tax if you sell property or shares.

What if I'm a higher-rate taxpayer?

We can only claim the basic rate back, but this is still extremely valuable. You will also be able to claim additional personal tax relief on your self-assessment form. 

I'm not eligible; should I still return the form?

Yes please. It would be a huge help if you could return a declaration to us letting us know not to claim. This way, we won't contact you about Gift Aid again in the future, saving us time and money.

I've already completed a declaration for another charity. Do I need to complete one for Guide Dogs?

Yes. You will need to complete a separate form for each charity you want to benefit from Gift Aid.

What else does ticking the Gift Aid box commit me to?

Nothing at all. It just ensures that, if you donate to us, we can claim money back from HM Revenue and Customs.

How long does my declaration last for?

Until you tell us to stop. At the moment, and as long as you remain eligible, your declaration lets us reclaim past (up to four years), present and future donations.

What do I do if I need more information on Gift Aid?

If you would like to find out more, or if you would prefer to make your Gift Aid declaration over the phone, please contact us on 0870 240 6993 and we will do our very best to help

What if I change my mind, or am no longer paying tax?

Please contact us either by letter to The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association, Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire RG7 3YG, or by e-mail to and tell us that you no longer wish us to claim the tax on your gift.

What if I'm an events participant?

If you have received a benefit by participating, although anybody can sponsor you, Guide Dogs may not be able to claim Gift Aid from all your sponsors, including family members ('Connected Persons'). Please check with us for further details.

Will it really make a difference?

Yes. You will be increasing the value of your donation, enabling us to increase the mobility and independence of even more blind and partially-sighted people in the UK.

If you would prefer not to donate online, but would still like to make a donation, you can do so in the following ways: 


By cheque made payable to 'Guide Dogs'. Please put your name and address on the back of the cheque so that we can send you a thank you letter. Please send by post to:

Guide Dogs
Burghfield Common


By credit or debit card over the phone by calling us on 0800 953 0113 - we're here between 9 - 5 Monday to Friday. You can also set up a regular gift to Guide Dogs on this number.


Give £5 by texting 'Pups' to 70800. 98% of proceeds go to Guide Dogs. Texts cost £5 plus standard network rate. By using this service, you agree that we may call you in the future to discuss other ways you might help us; if you'd rather we didn't please text NOTHANKS to 83310. For questions or further T&Cs visit or 0118 983 5555

Need help?

If you have any queries about making a donation, please email or call us on 0800 953 0113.


Calls to our team will cost 1 pence per minute plus your telephone company’s access charge.