A tasty victory for Dan McGeorge
Chef and competitor Dan McGeorge won best dish of the series while honouring Guide Dogs’ history on BBC Two’s Great British Menu.
With ‘British Innovation and Invention’ as this series' theme, Dan decided to make his dessert dish in honour of our founders, Muriel Crooke and Rosamond Bond, as he was born and raised in Liverpool — where the UK’s first guide dogs were trained.
Dan’s dish, called ‘Give A Dog A Bone’, was a gorgeous-looking chocolate mousse bone served with two forms of innovative miso caramel, as well as honeycomb, yuzo gel and ‘chocolate soil’. It was served to the four judges on wooden boards with the first guide dogs’ names engraved on them: Meta, Folly, Judy and Flash.
It turns out it tasted as good as it looked; not only was the dessert chosen to go through to the show’s final banquet, but it was also voted the best dish of the series in the last episode, making Dan the ‘Champion of Champions’.
Judge Rachel Khoo called the inspiration for the dish “a beautiful story that was so well incorporated into the dessert”.
Among the 70 guests that attended the final banquet was guide dog owner Colin Adamson with his guide dog Diamond, and North West CAS Operations Manager, Sally McCoy.
Earlier in the series, Dan visited the training school in Atherton, near Manchester, to meet Sally, learn more about our charity and see guide dog in training, Dove, in action.
Sally talked about Guide Dogs’ roots in Wallasey, near Liverpool, that started 90 years ago, and how Muriel Crooke and Rosamond Bond had been inspired to start training dogs for people with sight loss, while Dove guided Dan expertly around an obstacle course.
- Our record-breaking litter of 16 puppies
- Dogs' favourite Christmas songs
- New study shows the danger of e-scooters
- Corrie star takes on new role as puppy midwife
- The Pet Show comes to the National Centre
- Guide Dogs People Awards 2021
- The Countess of Wessex meets future life-changers at the Guide Dogs National Centre
- Avoiding guide dog distractions - "Don't dive on the dog!"
- Rising to the challenge: the impact of Covid-19 on fundraising at Guide Dogs
- Celebrities pose for paw-traits to celebrate Guide Dogs 90th Anniversary
- Aunt Bessie's launches Yorkshire pudding shaped dog bed for Guide Dogs
- Guide Dogs advise on what to watch out for on woodland walks this autumn
- Guide Dogs at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show
- Guide Dogs advice to help ‘let sleeping dogs lie’
- The Listening Project brings together experiences of blindness
- Keeping dogs safe from garden dangers
- Bride thanks guide dog for giving her a reason to live
- Guide dog owner refused entry to London restaurants
- Guide Dogs puppy on (PAW) Patrol on the red carpet
- Guide Dogs launches Tech for All scheme
- The Countess of Wessex has succeeded Princess Alexandra as Royal Patron for Guide Dogs
- Guide dog owner becomes England's first female fitness instructor with sight loss
- Guide Dogs advocates for new dog theft law
- Highlighting the dangers of e-scooters after guide dog owner hit
- Charities call for Network Rail and the Department for Transport to address rail safety faster
- A tasty victory for Dan McGeorge
- Guide Dogs makes support more accessible to people with sight and hearing loss
- Guide Dogs warns of Christmas gift that could place you on the naughty list
- Trainee Buddy Dog Mason provides canine comfort to NHS workers
- Celebrating our 90th anniversary with Flash the pup
- Guide Dogs and Aunt Bessie's forge new partnership to help raise awareness of sight loss
- Guide Dogs launches weight management pilot scheme with the support of partner Royal Canin
- Public back Guide Dogs' call for new law on pavement parking
- Our 2021 annual plan
- Guide Dogs moves up to fourth place in the YouGov CharityIndex for Brand Health
- Widespread and illegal: Guide Dogs raises the alarm about e-scooter misuse
- Guide Dogs' Christmas Wishes Virtual Event proudly supported by Royal Canin
- Introducing the Guide Dogs Glossary; the new language we use to describe ourselves, our services and our people
- Marks and Spencer is the latest national corporate partner for Guide Dogs
- Guide Dogs calls on Government to end inaction over pavement parking
- Guide Dogs and Citi in brand new partnership
- Libby Clegg takes to the ice
- Guide dog owner appears on Ready Steady Cook
- Guide dog owner set to be Radio 1's first blind presenter
- Guide Dogs launch a guide for Higher Education providers to support students with vision impairment
- We call for public to help those with sight loss trying to social distance
- High Street Heroes 2019
- Strictly-Lover Neve Meets Craig Revel Horwood | Guide Dogs
- A quarter of pet dog owners say fireworks are their dogs biggest fear
- Sight loss charities join forces to launch online advice hub
- Shut out due to sight loss: Three in four guide dog owners illegally refused service
- BBC shares guide dog owner's discrimination battle
- Charities collaborate to empower guide dog owners to tackle access refusals
- By My Side - March 2019