BBC shares guide dog owner's discrimination battle
Today the BBC shared the story of guide dog owner Damon Rose's battle with discrimination through access refusals.
Damon writes how he was refused access to a private hire vehicle when the driver claimed he was allergic to dogs, even though he could not present an exemption certificate as the law requires. As Damon is unfortunately used to such access refusals, he was able to capture the incident on video.
Transport for London took this driver to court last week who pleaded guilty to the offence and was fined £1,500.
The article draws on research conducted by Guide Dogs as part of our Access all Areas campaign, where we strive to end the discrimination visually impaired people face on a regular basis when out with their assistance dogs.
Access refusals can have a devastating impact on assistance dog owners' confidence. In our 2015 Access all Areas Report, one guide dog owner commented:
- Guide Dogs' Christmas Wishes Virtual Event proudly supported by Royal Canin
- Introducing the Guide Dogs Glossary; the new language we use to describe ourselves, our services and our people
- Guide Dogs warns of Christmas gift that could place you on the naughty list
- Guide Dogs and Aunt Bessie's forge new partnership to help raise awareness of sight loss
- Public back Guide Dogs' call for new law on pavement parking
- Happiness of children with a vision impairment has 'significantly decreased' over past decade
- Guide Dogs moves up to fourth place in the YouGov CharityIndex for Brand Health
- Guide Dogs launch a guide for Higher Education providers to support students with vision impairment
- Marks and Spencer is the latest national corporate partner for Guide Dogs
- Guide Dogs calls on Government to end inaction over pavement parking
- Guide Dogs and Citi in brand new partnership
- Libby Clegg takes to the ice
- Guide dog owner appears on Ready Steady Cook
- Guide dog owner set to be Radio 1's first blind presenter
- We call for public to help those with sight loss trying to social distance
- High Street Heroes 2019
- Strictly-lover Neve meets her hero, Craig Revel Horwood
- A quarter of pet dog owners say fireworks are their dogs biggest fear
- Sight loss charities join forces to launch online advice hub
- Shut out due to sight loss: Three in four guide dog owners illegally refused service
- By My Side - March 2019
- BBC shares guide dog owner's discrimination battle
- Charities collaborate to empower guide dog owners to tackle access refusals