Guide Dogs advocates for new dog theft law
Guide Dogs shows support for a second Animal Welfare Bill and the Government's plans to look at how dog theft is classified in UK law.
On 8 June, the Government launched a second Animal Welfare Bill designed to extend further protections for pets, livestock and wild animals, covering a multitude of issues from preventing puppy smuggling to banning live exports. The announcement was welcomed by animal welfare and animal-related charities across the UK.
There are also plans in the pipeline for the Government to rethink how dog theft is classified in UK law, with a number of ministers stating they would like to see harsher punishments to tackle the growing problem.
Guide Dogs’ Director of Canine Affairs Tim Stafford was interviewed across BBC Radio stations on the subject.
He told BBC Radio Leeds’ Rima Ahmed: “I’ve got two dogs beside me as we speak, they are members of my family and I would be absolutely devastated if anything untoward happened to either of them. I’m sure that anyone who shares their lives with dogs feels exactly the same.
“The law is that animals are property, it’s a simple as that. There’s no difference between my dogs and my television, so the law doesn’t take that loss into consideration at all. Dog theft is low risk, high reward, especially at the moment. We’ve heard all about people wanting to bring a dog into their lives during the pandemic and the actual market for dogs has skyrocketed.
“We are finding that theft is more of a risk to us, even working at Guide Dogs. We’ve got 8,000 dogs in the community. Our dogs, like any other dog, go out to the park, they’re in people’s gardens, they go out and about and they met all sorts of different people. We are having to be much more careful these days about where we take them and if the person who wants to talk to us about our dogs is actually genuinely interested.”
While Guide Dogs has never had a guide dog taken from its owner, there have been two unsuccessful attempts this year.
Tim added, “You can imagine the devastation if you are a guide dog owner, needing that dog to get out and about and building up such a bond and friendship over its life, and then you lose it to a theft.”
Catch up on the interview on BBC Sounds from three hours 49 minutes in.
- Rising to the challenge: the impact of Covid-19 on fundraising at Guide Dogs
- Celebrities pose for paw-traits to celebrate Guide Dogs 90th Anniversary
- Aunt Bessie's launches Yorkshire pudding shaped dog bed for Guide Dogs
- Guide Dogs advise on what to watch out for on woodland walks this autumn
- Guide Dogs at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show
- Guide Dogs advice to help ‘let sleeping dogs lie’
- The Listening Project brings together experiences of blindness
- Keeping dogs safe from garden dangers
- Bride thanks guide dog for giving her a reason to live
- Guide dog owner refused entry to London restaurants
- Guide Dogs puppy on (PAW) Patrol on the red carpet
- Guide Dogs launches Tech for All scheme
- The Countess of Wessex has succeeded Princess Alexandra as Royal Patron for Guide Dogs
- Guide dog owner becomes England's first female fitness instructor with sight loss
- Guide Dogs advocates for new dog theft law
- Highlighting the dangers of e-scooters after guide dog owner hit
- Charities call for Network Rail and the Department for Transport to address rail safety faster
- A tasty victory for Dan McGeorge
- Guide Dogs makes support more accessible to people with sight and hearing loss
- Trainee Buddy Dog Mason provides canine comfort to NHS workers
- Celebrating our 90th anniversary with Flash the pup
- Guide Dogs launches weight management pilot scheme with the support of partner Royal Canin
- Guide Dogs warns of Christmas gift that could place you on the naughty list
- Our 2021 annual plan
- Guide Dogs and Aunt Bessie's forge new partnership to help raise awareness of sight loss
- Widespread and illegal: Guide Dogs raises the alarm about e-scooter misuse
- Guide Dogs' Christmas Wishes Virtual Event proudly supported by Royal Canin
- Public back Guide Dogs' call for new law on pavement parking
- Introducing the Guide Dogs Glossary; the new language we use to describe ourselves, our services and our people
- Guide Dogs moves up to fourth place in the YouGov CharityIndex for Brand Health
- Marks and Spencer is the latest national corporate partner for Guide Dogs
- Guide Dogs calls on Government to end inaction over pavement parking
- Guide Dogs and Citi in brand new partnership
- Guide Dogs launch a guide for Higher Education providers to support students with vision impairment
- Libby Clegg takes to the ice
- Guide dog owner appears on Ready Steady Cook
- Guide dog owner set to be Radio 1's first blind presenter
- We call for public to help those with sight loss trying to social distance
- High Street Heroes 2019
- Strictly-Lover Neve Meets Craig Revel Horwood | Guide Dogs
- A quarter of pet dog owners say fireworks are their dogs biggest fear
- Sight loss charities join forces to launch online advice hub
- Shut out due to sight loss: Three in four guide dog owners illegally refused service
- BBC shares guide dog owner's discrimination battle
- Charities collaborate to empower guide dog owners to tackle access refusals
- By My Side - March 2019