Strictly-lover Neve meets her hero, Craig Revel Horwood
Strictly judging legend Craig gives Neve a ‘10’ in an inspirational new film
Strictly Come Dancing judge Craig Revel Horwood delighted 13-year-old dance-mad Neve, when the two met at the famous Elstree studios in London.
Craig and Neve discussed their shared love of all things dance, and their chat was filmed by Guide Dogs as part of the #MeetAHero campaign, which shows that with the right support, young people with sight loss can do almost anything.
“Since I was really young I’ve been obsessed with dancing, now I’m older I’m equally obsessed with Strictly”, says Neve, who was born with a number of complex eye conditions which have affected her sight.
Despite her vision impairment, Neve began dancing when she was just four years old. She now practices a combination of ballet, tap, akro, modern and lyrical twice a week in Coventry.
Neve has been working with Guide Dogs on her movement and orientation skills since she was nine and this helped her when it came to learning how to dance.
Her sight loss means she is sometimes unable to do things the same way as her friends, but despite not finding certain dance moves easy, she is always willing to try new things and won an award for being the most resilient student at her dance school earlier this year.
“Even though things can sometimes take me a bit longer to work out, I feel free and happy when I dance”, says Neve.
A Strictly Come Dancing super fan, the BBC show is a ‘must watch’ in Neve’s house and she has been looking forward to the new series since May. Craig is her absolute favourite judge on the panel and she loves his theatrical manner and how honest he is with his feedback.
When they met, Neve and Craig spent some time discussing their shared love of dance, including how they both got started, their dance inspiration and even their most embarrassing moment they have experienced on the dance floor.
Craig was equally full of praise for Neve, saying: “It came as no surprise that Neve received an award from her dance school earlier this year. She is the embodiment of a fabulous dancer. She is talented, resilient and unafraid to try new things, despite having some extra challenges to navigate.”
- Guide Dogs launches Tech for All scheme
- The Countess of Wessex has succeeded Princess Alexandra as Royal Patron for Guide Dogs
- Guide dog owner becomes England's first female fitness instructor with sight loss
- Guide Dogs advocates for new dog theft law
- Highlighting the dangers of e-scooters after guide dog owner hit
- Charities call for Network Rail and the Department for Transport to address rail safety faster
- A tasty victory for Dan McGeorge
- Guide Dogs makes support more accessible to people with sight and hearing loss
- Trainee Buddy Dog Mason provides canine comfort to NHS workers
- Celebrating our 90th anniversary with Flash the pup
- Guide Dogs launches weight management pilot scheme with the support of partner Royal Canin
- Our 2021 annual plan
- Widespread and illegal: Guide Dogs raises the alarm about e-scooter misuse
- Guide Dogs' Christmas Wishes Virtual Event proudly supported by Royal Canin
- Introducing the Guide Dogs Glossary; the new language we use to describe ourselves, our services and our people
- Guide Dogs warns of Christmas gift that could place you on the naughty list
- Guide Dogs and Aunt Bessie's forge new partnership to help raise awareness of sight loss
- Public back Guide Dogs' call for new law on pavement parking
- Guide Dogs moves up to fourth place in the YouGov CharityIndex for Brand Health
- Guide Dogs launch a guide for Higher Education providers to support students with vision impairment
- Marks and Spencer is the latest national corporate partner for Guide Dogs
- Guide Dogs calls on Government to end inaction over pavement parking
- Guide Dogs and Citi in brand new partnership
- Libby Clegg takes to the ice
- Guide dog owner appears on Ready Steady Cook
- Guide dog owner set to be Radio 1's first blind presenter
- We call for public to help those with sight loss trying to social distance
- High Street Heroes 2019
- Strictly-Lover Neve Meets Craig Revel Horwood | Guide Dogs
- A quarter of pet dog owners say fireworks are their dogs biggest fear
- Sight loss charities join forces to launch online advice hub
- Shut out due to sight loss: Three in four guide dog owners illegally refused service
- By My Side - March 2019
- BBC shares guide dog owner's discrimination battle
- Charities collaborate to empower guide dog owners to tackle access refusals