The Countess of Wessex has succeeded Princess Alexandra as Royal Patron for Guide Dogs
Princess Alexandra has stepped down as Patron of the charity, after more than sixty years in the role. The announcement was made at an event to officially open the new Guide Dogs South West regional centre at Bristol this week.
Their Royal Highnesses visited the new centre, where they met people supported by the charity as well as some of its renowned dogs and puppies.
The royal guests were treated to demonstrations of the charity’s dog and puppy training classes as well as some of the ways Guide Dogs supports children who are blind or partially sighted.
Guide Dogs Chairman Jamie Hambro thanked the Princess for her contribution and commitment to the charity:
“We are incredibly honoured to mark, and to thank in person, Princess Alexandra for her wonderful contribution over the last sixty-seven years, first as our President, then since 1957 as our Patron.
“I hope that from our tour today you will feel proud of the organisation that has flourished under your Patronage. From our first four guide dog owners back in 1931, we are now helping thousands of people with sight loss, of all ages, to enjoy freedom and independence.
“We’re looking forward to working with our new Patron to continue to highlight our work which enables people living with sight loss to live the lives they choose.”
The Countess has a long-standing commitment to supporting organisations which help the visually impaired, and it’s not her first visit to a Guide Dogs centre. She and His Royal Highness Prince Edward visited the Guide Dogs centre at Forfar in Scotland in 2019, when they became the Earl and Countess of Forfar. They subsequently spoke via Zoom to people supported by the Guide Dogs Forfar centre in January this year.
The development of the Bristol centre was made possible thanks to individual supporters, and by the players of People’s Postcode Lottery, founding partners of the regional centre.
- Rising to the challenge: the impact of Covid-19 on fundraising at Guide Dogs
- Celebrities pose for paw-traits to celebrate Guide Dogs 90th Anniversary
- Aunt Bessie's launches Yorkshire pudding shaped dog bed for Guide Dogs
- Guide Dogs advise on what to watch out for on woodland walks this autumn
- Guide Dogs at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show
- Guide Dogs advice to help ‘let sleeping dogs lie’
- The Listening Project brings together experiences of blindness
- Keeping dogs safe from garden dangers
- Bride thanks guide dog for giving her a reason to live
- Guide dog owner refused entry to London restaurants
- Guide Dogs puppy on (PAW) Patrol on the red carpet
- Guide Dogs launches Tech for All scheme
- The Countess of Wessex has succeeded Princess Alexandra as Royal Patron for Guide Dogs
- Guide dog owner becomes England's first female fitness instructor with sight loss
- Guide Dogs advocates for new dog theft law
- Highlighting the dangers of e-scooters after guide dog owner hit
- Charities call for Network Rail and the Department for Transport to address rail safety faster
- A tasty victory for Dan McGeorge
- Guide Dogs makes support more accessible to people with sight and hearing loss
- Trainee Buddy Dog Mason provides canine comfort to NHS workers
- Celebrating our 90th anniversary with Flash the pup
- Guide Dogs launches weight management pilot scheme with the support of partner Royal Canin
- Guide Dogs warns of Christmas gift that could place you on the naughty list
- Our 2021 annual plan
- Guide Dogs and Aunt Bessie's forge new partnership to help raise awareness of sight loss
- Widespread and illegal: Guide Dogs raises the alarm about e-scooter misuse
- Guide Dogs' Christmas Wishes Virtual Event proudly supported by Royal Canin
- Public back Guide Dogs' call for new law on pavement parking
- Introducing the Guide Dogs Glossary; the new language we use to describe ourselves, our services and our people
- Guide Dogs moves up to fourth place in the YouGov CharityIndex for Brand Health
- Marks and Spencer is the latest national corporate partner for Guide Dogs
- Guide Dogs calls on Government to end inaction over pavement parking
- Guide Dogs and Citi in brand new partnership
- Guide Dogs launch a guide for Higher Education providers to support students with vision impairment
- Libby Clegg takes to the ice
- Guide dog owner appears on Ready Steady Cook
- Guide dog owner set to be Radio 1's first blind presenter
- We call for public to help those with sight loss trying to social distance
- High Street Heroes 2019
- Strictly-Lover Neve Meets Craig Revel Horwood | Guide Dogs
- A quarter of pet dog owners say fireworks are their dogs biggest fear
- Sight loss charities join forces to launch online advice hub
- Shut out due to sight loss: Three in four guide dog owners illegally refused service
- BBC shares guide dog owner's discrimination battle
- Charities collaborate to empower guide dog owners to tackle access refusals
- By My Side - March 2019