The Pet Show comes to the National Centre
The Guide Dogs National Centre was paid a visit by ITV’s The Pet Show for an episode, which aired on Sunday 29th November.
Host Joanna Page travelled to the centre to find out about all the work that goes into training up a guide dog, as well as the Buddy Dogs programme for those dogs more suitable for a different role.
Joanna met guide dog trainer Gemma Eley and guide dog in training Molly, a golden retriever, who guided Joanna expertly through an obstacle course during a blindfold walk.
Joanna then sat down with Anika Halward, a CAS Operations Manager, who had buddy dog, Anna, with her.
Anika explained, “Some of our dogs that don’t make it as guide dogs, we career-change them because they have certain quirks. For example, it may be that they didn’t want to guide or they may not have felt comfortable in the harness.”
Labrador-cross Anna keenly demonstrated her ‘quirk’ for the cameras - attention-seeking whining and barking that meant being a guide dog wasn’t suitable for her!
Mum Ashleigh was on hand to explain just how a buddy dog fits into a family – her son Declan has sight loss and is paired up with buddy dog Barney.
Ashleigh explained why the family had applied, saying “The main reason for us was how it would benefit Declan and let him see what it would be like to have a guide dog in the future.
“Barney has actually brought us closer together. I couldn’t think of a better dog, he’s amazing.”
Joanna reflected, “It’s just been fascinating coming here today, but what’s been the most amazing bit for me is just seeing the importance of all the dogs. If one is not going to become a guide dog, then it will have another career and it will become a buddy dog."
Listen to us from 19 minutes in on episode 5 of The Pet Show, available on ITV Hub.
- Our record-breaking litter of 16 puppies
- Dogs' favourite Christmas songs
- New study shows the danger of e-scooters
- Corrie star takes on new role as puppy midwife
- The Pet Show comes to the National Centre
- Guide Dogs People Awards 2021
- The Countess of Wessex meets future life-changers at the Guide Dogs National Centre
- Avoiding guide dog distractions - "Don't dive on the dog!"
- Rising to the challenge: the impact of Covid-19 on fundraising at Guide Dogs
- Celebrities pose for paw-traits to celebrate Guide Dogs 90th Anniversary
- Aunt Bessie's launches Yorkshire pudding shaped dog bed for Guide Dogs
- Guide Dogs advise on what to watch out for on woodland walks this autumn
- Guide Dogs at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show
- Guide Dogs advice to help ‘let sleeping dogs lie’
- The Listening Project brings together experiences of blindness
- Keeping dogs safe from garden dangers
- Bride thanks guide dog for giving her a reason to live
- Guide dog owner refused entry to London restaurants
- Guide Dogs puppy on (PAW) Patrol on the red carpet
- Guide Dogs launches Tech for All scheme
- The Countess of Wessex has succeeded Princess Alexandra as Royal Patron for Guide Dogs
- Guide dog owner becomes England's first female fitness instructor with sight loss
- Guide Dogs advocates for new dog theft law
- Highlighting the dangers of e-scooters after guide dog owner hit
- Charities call for Network Rail and the Department for Transport to address rail safety faster
- A tasty victory for Dan McGeorge
- Guide Dogs makes support more accessible to people with sight and hearing loss
- Guide Dogs warns of Christmas gift that could place you on the naughty list
- Trainee Buddy Dog Mason provides canine comfort to NHS workers
- Celebrating our 90th anniversary with Flash the pup
- Guide Dogs and Aunt Bessie's forge new partnership to help raise awareness of sight loss
- Guide Dogs launches weight management pilot scheme with the support of partner Royal Canin
- Public back Guide Dogs' call for new law on pavement parking
- Our 2021 annual plan
- Guide Dogs moves up to fourth place in the YouGov CharityIndex for Brand Health
- Widespread and illegal: Guide Dogs raises the alarm about e-scooter misuse
- Guide Dogs' Christmas Wishes Virtual Event proudly supported by Royal Canin
- Introducing the Guide Dogs Glossary; the new language we use to describe ourselves, our services and our people
- Marks and Spencer is the latest national corporate partner for Guide Dogs
- Guide Dogs calls on Government to end inaction over pavement parking
- Guide Dogs and Citi in brand new partnership
- Libby Clegg takes to the ice
- Guide dog owner appears on Ready Steady Cook
- Guide dog owner set to be Radio 1's first blind presenter
- Guide Dogs launch a guide for Higher Education providers to support students with vision impairment
- We call for public to help those with sight loss trying to social distance
- High Street Heroes 2019
- Strictly-Lover Neve Meets Craig Revel Horwood | Guide Dogs
- A quarter of pet dog owners say fireworks are their dogs biggest fear
- Sight loss charities join forces to launch online advice hub
- Shut out due to sight loss: Three in four guide dog owners illegally refused service
- BBC shares guide dog owner's discrimination battle
- Charities collaborate to empower guide dog owners to tackle access refusals
- By My Side - March 2019