Guide Dogs launches weight management pilot scheme with the support of partner Royal Canin
Weight management in dogs is becoming an increasing problem. According to Professor Alex German, head of the Weight Management Clinic at Liverpool University, 65% of dogs in the UK are now overweight or obese*, which can lead to weight-related health problems.
At Guide Dogs, the health and welfare of our dogs are paramount. With nutritional support and advice from Royal Canin, each of our dogs is prescribed a specific diet and quantity of food relative to its individual needs.
Guide dog owners can, however, find it difficult to accurately measure the correct amount of food. Research has shown that when using cups to measure food, dog owners in general feed up to 80% more than they should. Scales are recommended, but many people with sight loss are unable to use standard kitchen scales.
Our partner Royal Canin is helping us address this problem with a recently launched pilot scheme, by funding the provision of digital talking scales to 200 guide dog owners. The aim is to support them with the ongoing weight management of their dogs.
Teresa, who lives in the West Midlands with her guide dog Baden, is one of the first recipients of a set of talking scales. Before receiving the scales, it took Teresa approximately 10 minutes every day to count out 200 pieces of kibble individually for Baden. That's 61 hours per year or 427 hours in total since she got Baden seven years ago!
Teresa manually counted the kibble as she understood the importance of ensuring Baden was not over or underfed, maintaining his optimal weight. However, this was sometimes difficult as well as time-consuming. She explained, "If I was distracted by the phone or doorbell when counting, I sometimes had to start all over again. If I spilled any kibble, I wasn't sure if it had gone into the bowl or hit the floor, so I had to recount!"
It now takes Teresa a fraction of the time to weigh out Baden's food each day. Teresa said, "The scales are brilliant; actually, they are amazing and the best thing I've ever had. I love them and I am so grateful to Royal Canin."
Martyn Cherry, PRO National Key Account Manager for Royal Canin said, "It feels so good that as a business we continue to make a difference in people's lives by supporting this simple task that we take for granted."
The scales have given Teresa 49 hours of her time back per year. Another benefit has been her ability to weigh out ingredients to make cakes for the first time. Something her partner Carl is very happy about too!
The pilot is one of several weight management initiatives that Royal Canin is supporting Guide Dogs with, plus involvement in numerous fundraising and sponsorship activities.
*Source: German, A.J., Woods, G.T., Holden, S.L., Brennan, L. and Burke, C. (2018). Dangerous trends in pet obesity. Veterinary Record; 182 (1).
- Guide Dogs launches Tech for All scheme
- The Countess of Wessex has succeeded Princess Alexandra as Royal Patron for Guide Dogs
- Guide dog owner becomes England's first female fitness instructor with sight loss
- Guide Dogs advocates for new dog theft law
- Highlighting the dangers of e-scooters after guide dog owner hit
- Charities call for Network Rail and the Department for Transport to address rail safety faster
- A tasty victory for Dan McGeorge
- Guide Dogs makes support more accessible to people with sight and hearing loss
- Trainee Buddy Dog Mason provides canine comfort to NHS workers
- Celebrating our 90th anniversary with Flash the pup
- Guide Dogs launches weight management pilot scheme with the support of partner Royal Canin
- Our 2021 annual plan
- Widespread and illegal: Guide Dogs raises the alarm about e-scooter misuse
- Guide Dogs' Christmas Wishes Virtual Event proudly supported by Royal Canin
- Introducing the Guide Dogs Glossary; the new language we use to describe ourselves, our services and our people
- Guide Dogs warns of Christmas gift that could place you on the naughty list
- Guide Dogs and Aunt Bessie's forge new partnership to help raise awareness of sight loss
- Public back Guide Dogs' call for new law on pavement parking
- Guide Dogs moves up to fourth place in the YouGov CharityIndex for Brand Health
- Guide Dogs launch a guide for Higher Education providers to support students with vision impairment
- Marks and Spencer is the latest national corporate partner for Guide Dogs
- Guide Dogs calls on Government to end inaction over pavement parking
- Guide Dogs and Citi in brand new partnership
- Libby Clegg takes to the ice
- Guide dog owner appears on Ready Steady Cook
- Guide dog owner set to be Radio 1's first blind presenter
- We call for public to help those with sight loss trying to social distance
- High Street Heroes 2019
- Strictly-Lover Neve Meets Craig Revel Horwood | Guide Dogs
- A quarter of pet dog owners say fireworks are their dogs biggest fear
- Sight loss charities join forces to launch online advice hub
- Shut out due to sight loss: Three in four guide dog owners illegally refused service
- By My Side - March 2019
- BBC shares guide dog owner's discrimination battle
- Charities collaborate to empower guide dog owners to tackle access refusals