How your money is helping
In 2018, it cost around £63,000 to breed, train and support a guide dog from birth to retirement, however, the cost of a guide dog is impacted not just by the cost of breeding and training, but also the cost of all of our support functions for the partnership over an average of seven years, as well as external support such as food and vets’ bills.
In 2018, the cost of a guide dog was broken down as follows:
- Breeding and puppy walking cost – £10,100
- Cost to breed, train and partnership – £48,100
- Ongoing support – £2,500
A guide dog owner may have as many as eight guide dogs in their lifetime bringing the total cost to around £500,000.
How we spend your money
- £5 can support a working guide dog for a day
- £25 can buy a white harness, the iconic symbol of a fully qualified guide dog
- £95 can buy a Training School Kit for a guide dog trainer who teach pups the specialist skills they will need to become a qualified guide dog.
- £140 can buy a Starter Kit for a new guide dog owner containing everything they need to start a life with their new guide dog.
Breakdown of a pound
You can find an accessible version of the breakdown of the pound as well as more detailed information on how we spend our money in our annual review and report.