Sorting and tidying
These activities are for children aged 3-4 years.
What you'll need
A variety of different coloured, shaped, textured, and sized objects
Once your child has started to recognise shapes, textures, colours and names of objects, you can begin to increase the complexity of matching and sorting by introducing the concept of similar, including:
- Shape - everything that is round or square
- Texture - smooth or rough
- Size - different sizes of the same objects, such as spoons
- Type - grouping different items such as books, toy cars, or balls
- Colour - everything that is red
When tidying toys, encourage your child to help, by asking them to collect all the:
- Toys of the same type, such as cars or teddies
- Everything soft
- All of the building blocks
Consider using different containers for different types of toys or objects, such as the red tub for teddies and a green box for building blocks. This will help your child find specific items at a later date.
Need to print this?
Download a PDF version of the activity below.