Introduction to Sighted Guide Training
This free, online training is ideal if you’re keen to learn the basics of guiding an adult with sight loss. By learning some simple sighted guiding techniques, you’ll be well on your way to providing help confidently and safely whenever needed.
What does Introduction to Sighted Guide Training cover?
- How to start a conversation when you meet someone who is blind or partially sighted, to ask if they need assistance.
- Basic guiding techniques for getting around obstacles, crossing roads and getting in and out of cars.
- An introduction to common eye conditions and their impact.
- Awareness of access rights and barriers to independence.
Who is the session for?
This course is available to anyone aged 18 and over, and is delivered in a live, online session by one of our expert staff who is available to answer questions and provide advice.
When does the Introduction to Sighted Guide Training take place?
The training takes place online. We run three sessions during the week, across a range of times.
Sign up to an Introduction to Sighted Guide Training
Complete our online form to sign up for an Introduction to Sighted Guide Training.
What people thought of our sessions
- 92% of attendees would recommend this session to others.
- 94% of attendees agreed or strongly agreed that the trainer was knowledgeable, responsive and helpful.
- 91% of attendees said their knowledge and understanding has increased as a result of this training.
(Results based on 248 survey completions in 2022)
Frequently asked questions
Discover more sighted guide training sessions...
Find out how you can take your training to the next level and become a volunteer sighted guide for Guide Dogs!