Have a passion for getting outdoors and also a dog lover? Becoming a volunteer dog exerciser would enable you to enjoy both, whilst also supporting someone with sight loss.
Search for a volunteering opportunity near you
If you would like to become a dog exerciser for Guide Dogs, the next step is to check if there is an opportunity available near you. You can use the search option below to find all volunteering opportunities near you and if you don't see a dog exerciser option – don't worry! We update our opportunities all the time so make sure you check back in.
What you’ll be doing
Making a difference to someone with sight loss by helping them exercise their dog when they are unable to do so. This will involve:
- Exercising a guide dog in your local area.
- Using our training techniques to help ensure the guide dog is exercised safely.
- Liaising with the guide dog owner to organise suitable times to exercise the dog.
To do this role you need:
- Flexibility to help exercise a guide dog.
- Good communication skills.
If you don’t feel you tick every box, but are sure this role is the one for you, we’d still love to hear from you! We’re always open to suggestions and are very happy to chat with you about what’s possible, so please just get in touch at email@example.com.
- The enjoyment of free running one of our beloved guide dogs (there really is no greater sight!)
- To expand your knowledge of dog handling techniques.
- The satisfaction of knowing you’resupporting people with sight loss by exercising their dog.
- A dedicated volunteer manager to help you through your volunteer journey.
- Full training and support to help you within your volunteer role.
What we need from you
- Criminal Disclosure check necessary? Yes. This role includes spending time (sometimes unsupervised) with children or vulnerable adults. This means we will require you to complete an Enhanced Disclosure Check.
We are working hard to make sure anyone who wants to can volunteer for Guide Dogs, but at the moment we have a minimum age of 18 for this particular role.