Jargon buster




annual review


additional resource centre  


additional resource provision 


both eyes open 


common assessment framework 


child and adolescent mental health services 


child in need


cerebral or cortical vision impairment
(CVI can sometimes refer to a certificate of vision impairment)

CYP  child and young person
DSA  disabled students’ allowance or a disability student assessment 
ECLO eye clinic liaison officer  
EHCP education health and care plan 
ERB  education resource base 
ESA  education support assessment 
ECC  extended core curriculum
(ECC is in addition to the national curriculum, where additional skills need to be taught to the child or young person, for example, Braille lessons) 
EP  educational psychologist 
EY early years  
EYFS  early years foundation stage 
FE  further education 
FS  foundation stage
FVA  functional vision assessment 
HAB habilitation
HE  higher education 
IAG  information, advice and guidance 
ILD  individual learning difficulty 
IEP  individual education plan
ISP  independent specialist provider or individual support plan
KS  key stage 
LA  local authority 
LE  left eye
RE right eye 
LPO light perception only
LSA  learning support assistant or learning support assessment
LVA  low vision aid or low vision assessment 
LVC low vision clinic
LVD  low vision devices 
MDVI  multiple disability with vision impairment 
MSI multi sensory impairment
MLD  moderate learning difficulties 
NLP no light perception
OT occupational therapist
PMLD  profound multiple learning difficulties 
PNI physical and neurological impairment 
QTVI  qualified teacher of children with vision impairment 
SALT  speech and language therapy 
SEN  special educational need
SENCO special education needs coordinator 
SENDCO  special educational needs and disability coordinator 
SEND  special educational needs and disability
SENDO  special educational needs and disability officer 
SENDIASS special educational needs and disability information advice support service 
SENDIST  special educational needs and disability tribunal 
SFE  Student Finance England 
SLD  severe learning difficulties 
STA specialist teaching assistant
SSPVI specialist support professional for the visually impaired
SSW specialist support worker
TA  teaching assistant 

team around the child 

TAF team around the family
VRS Vision Rehabilitation Specialist


Assessment of need a formal procedure to assess your equipment and support needs, taking into account your strengths and weaknesses 
Personal or individual budget an arrangement where parents or guardians have direct control over the application of funding that’s spent on equipment or services to support their child. Funding is sourced from local statutory bodies, or education, health and social services 
Visual acuity  the smallest detail somebody can see when looking straight at a stationary, high contrast target in good lighting 

Do you need help?

Please don’t hesitate to contact us for more tailored help and support.

0800 781 1444