Keeping children active and engaged
It can be difficult to keep children active and engaged while at home. Here we share some resources, for your child with a visual impairment, to help you do just that!
Family fun at home
With our Guide Dogs Family Events currently on hold, we’ve put together some fun activity ideas for families to enjoy at home. With families across the nation finding themselves indoors together, it’s time to get creative!
- RNIB Talking Books – Register free for access to over 26,000 audio books.
- Oxford Owl – Register free for eBooks and activities, developed for children aged 3–11 years old.
- Audible Stories – Offering free stories for children. No registration required.
- Amazon Music – Currently offering a three-month free trial of unlimited music.
- Calibre - A national charity lending free audiobooks for anyone who is unable to access print books.
- CustomEyes Books - Our large-print books for children and young people with a visual impairment.
- Amazon books - A selection of Kindle books available to download for free, including many children’s titles.
- Tiny T's Storytelling and Theatre – Interactive storytelling of many children’s classics, posted live on YouTube.
- British Blind Sport - Accessible workouts to keep younger generations active, healthy, and burning off energy!
- Cosmic Yoga – Yoga for children with popular story themes.
- P.E. with Joe – A collection of home workouts from Joe Wick, also known as The Body Coach.
- The Scouts – Over one hundred free, fun activities to try at home with your family.
- The Teddy Bear Hunt - Inspired by the book “Going on a bear hunt” by Michael Rosen, place a teddy bear in your window for other children to see while out on a walk.
- Follow the rainbow – Children across the country are painting pictures of rainbows and placing them in windows to spread some joy.
Live zoo cameras
- Dublin Zoo webcams
- San Diego Zoo live cams
- San Diego Zoo elephant cam
- Edinburgh Zoo panda cam
- Edinburgh Zoo koala cam
- Marwell Zoo webcams
Videos and music
- Cbeebies - A wide selection of programmes, activities and bedtime stories.
- Cbeebies bedtime stories – A different story read each night before bed.
- Cbeebies bedtime stories with Justin Fletcher (Mr Tumble)
- Myleene's Music Klass – Music classes for children with celebrity musician Myleene Klass
- Netflix Party – Your child/children could watch a Netflix show at the same times as their friends.
- Art Projects for Kids – Lots of art project ideas
- Positive Eye – Activity ideas specifically for children with a vision impairment.
- Living Painting Organisation – Audio books and tactile books available for order
West End Shows
- The Wind in the Willows – Watch the stage show online. A sign-up and charity donation is required.
Support from other charities
- RNIB online shop – RNIB – Toys and games for children with a vision impairment.
- VICTA - Empowering children and young people with a vision impairment through the Victa Parent Network Facebook group and a portal to share your favourite resources.
- Wonderbaby Org – A huge list of resources for parents of children with a vision impairment.
- Braille works - Different resource suggestions for parents of children with a vision impairment.
- LOOK UK - Online support groups, ‘Find your calm’ workshops and share ideas, information, and support.
- Call us on 0800 781 1444 Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, to find out more about our whole range of services.
- Children’s Commissioner’s guide to Coronavirus – A guide from the Children’s Commissioner on how to explain coronavirus to children.
- Childline – 0800 1111
Keep your child engaged and support their learning with our sensory stories and other education resources.
- Eye conditions
- How can technology help me
- Learning through play
- Education support
- Sighted guiding instructional videos
- Dog care and welfare
- Travelling with your assistance dog
- Sensory equipment grants for children
- Family support
- Getting around safely
- Keeping a child with sight loss active and engaged
- Making the most of your vision