My Guide – Sighted guide
Covid-19: Due to the current restrictions during the Covid-19 pandemic we are unfortunately unable to recruit volunteers for our My Guide service until face-to-face contact can be resumed.
If you are interested in volunteering for us in other roles, you can search for opportunities currently available in your area.
Is this volunteering role right for me?
You must be able to give - on average – a few hours a week, and be aged 18 years old or over. This role requires that you have an Enhanced Disclosure.
What is My Guide?
My Guide is a service we offer that allows volunteers to become sighted guides. You will undergo training and learn to safely guide someone with sight loss, navigating environments and building self-confidence – all whilst increasing social interaction with those who may not otherwise wish to leave their home.
You can read much more about My Guide.
What does sighted guiding involve?
- Provide sighted guide assistance on a regular basis to people living with sight loss – you will be matched with a suitable partner.
- Agree on when and where you will provide the sighted guide, as part of a mutually agreed activity plan.
- You must undertake all elements of My Guide training (approximately two days).
- Always maintain professional boundaries and adhere to safeguarding procedures.
Key requirements and FAQs
What skills or experience are required?
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Patience and flexibility
- Able to undertake your role safely and effectively
What training and support will I receive?
- Sighted Guide training and certificate upon completion of training
- Guide Dogs safeguarding training
- Ongoing support from the My Guide team
Sophie Thompson spends a day as a My Guide
Sight loss is an issue close to actress Sophie Thompson's heart as both her mother and grandmother were diagnosed with hereditary glaucoma. To understand more about our sighted guiding service and help us raise awareness of how it can change lives, Sophie spent a day as a My Guide for Sam, who has diabetic retinopathy and has been a My Guide service user since 2016.
What are the next steps?
If you are interested in becoming a My Guide Sighted Guide volunteer then the next step is to check if there is an opportunity available near you. You can use the search option below to find all volunteering opportunities near you and if you don't see a My Guide option – don't worry! We do update our opportunities all the time so make sure you check back in.