Sighted Guiding - another way to get out and about
My Guide - 1:1 sighted guiding service
My Guide is our free service that helps people with a vision impairment get out of their homes and into the community with a volunteer as their sighted guide.
Sighted guiding helps to build self-confidence, increase social interaction and be part of the community.
What are some of the benefits of partnering with a My Guide sighted guide?
- Choosing the things you want to do and what you want to achieve. We will work with you to improve your independence by increasing your ability to get out and about
- Taking part in social, leisure and fitness activities such as walking, going to the local gym or accessing local community activities
- Making new friends and connections within your community
- Increasing your confidence in moving about and feeling safer, you get to do the things you want to do through regular outings
How do I apply for My Guide?
In the first instance get in touch with us by phone or email. We will chat through your requirements to ensure this is the right service for you and then take you through the following steps:
- a simple assessment to help us understand how My Guide can best work for you
- matching you with an approved My Guide volunteer who has received full training - this will include a meeting to ensure you feel comfortable working together
Once fully matched you and your sighted guide can work towards your chosen goals including accessing your local community. The partnership is regularly reviewed and either party can withdraw with no obligation at any time and our local staff are always available to offer support or answer any questions you may have.
Contact us for further information
If you are interested in applying for the My Guide service contact us using the details below
Friends and family sighted guiding training
Our friends and family training can give close companions the skills and knowledge they need to better understand and support their friends or family members. This includes how to guide safely and confidently and providing more information about different eye conditions.
What are some of the benefits?
- gain a better understanding of different sight loss conditions
- improved sighted guiding skills to support individual needs
- increased confidence when guiding
- an opportunity for peers to support
- a chance to meet others in a similar situation
The friends and family training from Guide Dogs gave me a greater sense that people understood what I was going through.
If you or someone you know is interested in our friends and family training you can register interest by phone or email using the details below. A member of the team will then discuss the training and give you information on the next available dates.
Get in touch
If you are interested in our friends and family training please get in touch
If you are interested in volunteering as a sighted guide please visit our volunteering pagesVolunteer with us