Guide Dogs Academy
We're passionate about developing the skills and knowledge of our staff as some of our dog-related roles are pretty unique to us. So we have our very own Guide Dogs Academy!
Who can join the Academy?
Our Academy provides training and development opportunities for people who want to become guide dog trainers and guide dog mobility specialists. We have dedicated specialist coaching staff ready to support you and we will provide you with learning opportunities tailored to your individual skills and needs.
The Academy learning journey
When you join the Academy you’ll receive a learning plan that builds on your current skills and experience. Your learning will be delivered through a range of hands on practical learning, digital content, workshops, observations and peer, group and self-directed learning.
Within the Academy, you’ll be able to apply the theory and connect processes to hands on practical learning activities. Our coaching is designed to develop the skills and knowledge you need to be the best you can be in your role.
Your learning plan will help you:
- Understand and experience the context of your new role and how it fits with creating new guide dog partnerships.
- Get to grips with the fundamentals of how a guide dog can support someone with sight loss and our unique development programme. As you learn you will practise the key skills you'll be using to create life-changing partnerships.
- As you progress, you’ll bring your skills and learning to life as you train and develop guide dogs and create real, life changing partnerships.
- Depending on your role, you’ll match and deliver guide dog mobility training for people with sight loss, as well as provide ongoing support and assessment.
- When you've met your key competencies, you’ll transition to your home team, where you’ll continue your development and gather experience in the field.
Do you want to join our Academy? Discover our latest vacancies