Collaborations, publications and proceedings
At Guide Dogs we value collaborating with external researchers and organisations on a variety of research projects. Some of our collaborators have included:
Royal Veterinary College
University of Edinburgh
University of Liverpool
University of Nottingham
University of Warwick
Wellcome-MRC-Institute of Metabolic Science-Metabolic Research Laboratories
Other Assistance Dogs UK and International Guide Dog Federation organisations
Thank you to all our collaborators for helping us succeed in implementing our research strategy.
Canine science publications
- England, GCW., Rijsselaere, T., Campbell, A., Moxon, R. and Freeman, SL. 2020. Normal and abnormal response to sperm deposition in female dogs: A review and new hypotheses for endometritis. Theriogenology, 159, 176-183.
- Hunt, RL., England, GC., Asher, L., Whiteside, H. and Harvey, ND. 2020. Concurrent and Predictive Criterion Validity of a Puppy Behaviour Questionnaire for Predicting Training Outcome in Juvenile Guide Dogs. Animals, 10(12), p.2382.
- Hunt, R. and Whiteside, H., 2020. The Effects of Environmental Enrichment on Dog Behaviour. The IAABC Journal.
- McIver, S., Hall, S. and Mills, DS., 2020. The Impact of Owning a Guide Dog on Owners’ Quality of Life: A Longitudinal Study, Anthrozoös, 33:1, 103-117.
- Cornelius, A.J., Moxon, R., Russenberger, J., Havlena, B. and Cheong, S.H., 2019. Identifying risk factors for canine dystocia and stillbirths. Theriogenology, 128, 201-206.
- Moxon, R., 2018. Importance of good husbandry in dog breeding establishments. Veterinary Record, 183(12), 379-380.
- York, S. and Whiteside, H., 2018. Exploring Social (Non-working) Behavior in Guide Dogs from the Perspective of Guide Dog Owners. Anthrozoös, 31(5), 525-536.
- Vaterlaws-Whiteside, H. & Hartmann, A., 2017. Improving puppy behaviour using a new standardized socialization program. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 197, 55-61.
- Whiteside, H., 2017. Service dog temperament versus behaviour: what to measure and when. The IAABC Journal.
- Wigham, EE., Moxon, RS., England, GCW., Wood, JLN. and Morters, MK., 2017. Seasonality in oestrus and litter size in an assistance dog breeding colony in the United Kingdom. Veterinary Record, 181, 371.
- Craigon, PJ., Hobson-West, P., England, GCW., Whelan, C., Lethbridge, E. and Asher L., 2017. “She’s a dog at the end of the day”: Guide dog owners’ perspectives on the behaviour of their guide dog. PLoS ONE, 12(4): e0176018.
- de Souza, MB., da Silva, LDM., Moxon, R., Russo, M. and England, GC., 2017. Ultrasonography of the prostate gland and testes in dogs. In Practice, 39(1), 21-32.
- England, GC., Bright, L., Pritchard, B., Bowen, IM., de Souza, MB., Silva, LDM. and Moxon, R., 2017. Canine reproductive ultrasound examination for predicting future sperm quality. Reproduction in Domestic Animals, 52, 202-207.
- Harvey, ND., Craigon, PJ., Blythe, SA., England, GCW. and Asher, L., 2016 Social rearing environment influences dog behavioral development. Journal of Veterinary Behavior, 16, 13-21.
- Moxon, R., Whiteside, H. and England, GC., 2016. Prevalence of ultrasound-determined cystic endometrial hyperplasia and the relationship with age in dogs. Theriogenology, 86(4), 976-980.
- Lea, R., Byers, A., Sumner, R. et al. Environmental chemicals impact dog semen quality in vitro and may be associated with a temporal decline in sperm motility and increased cryptorchidism. Scientific Reports, 6, 31281.
- Raffan, E., Dennis, RJ., O'Donovan, CJ., et al., 2016. A Deletion in the Canine POMC Gene Is Associated with Weight and Appetite in Obesity-Prone Labrador Retriever Dogs. Cell Metabolism 23(5), 893-900.
- Moxon, R., Whiteside, H. and England, GCW., 2016. Incidence and impact of dog attacks on guide dogs in the UK: an update. Veterinary Record, 178, 367.
- Caron-Lormier, G., Harvey, ND., England, GCW. and Asher, L., 2016. Using the incidence and impact of behavioural conditions in guide dogs to investigate patterns in undesirable behaviour in dogs. Scientific Reports, 6, 23860.
- Caron-Lormier, G., England, GCW., Green, MJ. and Asher, L., 2016. Using the incidence and impact of health conditions in guide dogs to investigate healthy ageing in working dogs. The Veterinary Journal, 207, 124-130.
- Harvey, ND., Craigon, PJ., Sommerville, R., McMillan, C., Green, M., England, GCW. and Asher, L., 2016. Test-retest reliability and predictive validity of a juvenile guide dog behavior test. Journal of Veterinary Behavior, 11, 65-76.
- Evans, KM., Lewis, TW., Asher L., Blythe, S., Bottomley, M., Tootill, L., Roberts, R., Whiteside, H., England, GCW. and Blott, SC., 2015. Genetic evaluation of traits in a standardized behavioral test for potential guide dog puppies using crossbreed models. Journal of Veterinary Behavior, 10(6), 459-464.
- Harvey, N., Asher, L. and England, G., 2015. Influence of early environment on personality scores of 12-month-old trainee guide dogs. Journal of Veterinary Behavior, 10, 446.
- Moxon, R., Bright, L., Pritchard, B., Bowen, IM., Barbosa de Souza, M., Machado da Silva, LD. and England, GCW., 2015. Digital image analysis of testicular and prostatic ultrasonographic echogenicity and heterogeneity in dogs and the relation to semen quality. Animal Reproduction Science, 160, 112-119.
- England, GCW., Moxon, R. and Freeman, SL., 2014. Normal and abnormal uterine response to sperm deposition in the bitch. Proceedings of the 17th EVSSAR Congress, Wroclaw, Poland 41-43.
- Moxon, R. and England, GCW., 2013. Care of puppies during the neonatal period. Animal Specialist, Vol. 25, No. 10, 60-67.
- Asher, L., Blythe, S., Roberts, R., Toothill, L., Craigon, PJ., Evans, KM., Green, MJ., and England, GCW., 2013. A standardized behavior test for potential guide dog puppies: Methods and association with subsequent success in guide dog training. Journal of Veterinary Behavior, 8(6), 431-438.
- England, GCW., Moxon, R. and Freeman, SL., 2012. Stimulation of Mating-Induced Uterine Contractions in the Bitch and Their Modification and Enhancement of Fertility by Prostatic Fluid. Reproduction in Domestic Animals, 47 (Suppl. 6), 1–5.
- Moxon, R., Batty, H., Irons, G. and England, GCW., 2012. Periovulatory changes in the endoscopic appearance of the reproductive tract and teasing behaviour in the bitch. Theriogenology, 78, 1907-1916.
- England, GCW., Moxon, R. and Freeman, SL., 2012. Delayed uterine fluid clearance and reduced uterine perfusion in bitches with endometrial hyperplasia and clinical management with postmating antibiotic. Theriogenology, 78, 1611-1617.
- Moxon, R. and England, GCW., 2012. Care of puppies during the neonatal period: Part 2 Care of the sick neonate. Veterinary Nursing Journal, 27, 57-61.
- Moxon, R. and England, GCW., 2012. Care of puppies during the neonatal period: Part 1 Care and artificial rearing. Veterinary Nursing Journal, 27, 10-13.
- Moxon, R., England, GCW., 2011. Fertility and whelping complications in bitches following correction of vaginal abnormalities. Veterinary Record, 168, 642.
- Moxon, R., Allison, A. and England, GCW., 2010. Effect of ultrasonic devices on the distraction behaviour of guide dogs. International Journal of Orientation and Mobility, 3, 27-31.
- Trybocka, R., 2010. Character assessment testing to test suitability for guide dogs. Veterinary Nursing Journal, 25, 11.
- England, GCW., Phillips, L. and Freeman, SL., 2010. Heritability of semen characteristics in dogs. Theriogenology 74, 1136–1140.
- Moxon, R., 2010. Canine Research at Guide Dogs (UK). Visionary, 16, 4-5.
- Moxon, R., Copley, D., England, GCW., 2010. Technical and financial evaluation of assays for progesterone in canine practice in the UK. Veterinary Record, 167, 528-531.
- Moxon, R., Copley, D. and England, GCW., 2010. Quality assurance of canine vaginal cytology. Theriogenology 74, 479-485.
- Brooks, A., Moxon, R., England, GCW., 2010. Incidence and impact of dog attacks on guide dogs in the UK. Veterinary Record 166, 778-781.
- Moxon, R., Phillips, L. and England GCW., 2010. Managing husbandry to increase puppy survival rates. Veterinary Nursing Journal 25, 17-20.
Human behavioural sciences publications
- Rickly, J., Halpern, N., Hansen, M., McCabe, S. and Fellenor, J., 2020. Covid-19: The effects of isolation and social distancing on people with vision impairment.
- Rickly, J., Haplern, N., McCabe, S. and Hansen, M., 2020. Guide Dogs on Holiday: Guide dog owner experiences in the travel and tourism sector.
- Lethbridge, E.M. and Muldoon, C., 2018. Development of a Mobility-Related Quality-of-Life Measure for Individuals with Vision Impairments. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 112(2), 169-181.
- Hogg, K., Thetford, C., Wheeler, SL., York, S., Moxon, R. and Robinson, J., 2017. Habilitation provision for children and young people with vision impairment in the United Kingdom: a lack of clarity leading to inconsistencies. British Journal of Visual Impairment, 35(1), 44-54.
- Audrestch HM., Whelan CT., Grice D., Asher, L., England, GCW. and Freeman, SL., 2015. Recognizing the value of assistance dogs in society. Disability and Health Journal, 8, 469-474.
- Marquès-Brocksopp, L., 2015. How does a dog attack on a guide dog affect the wellbeing of a guide dog owner? British Journal of Visual Impairment, 33(1), 5-18.
- England G., Gebbels T., Whelan C., and Freeman, S., 2014. Accommodating blind and partially sighted clients. In Practice, 36, 435-442.