Eye conditions in children
When you find out that your child has a vision impairment it’s likely that a medical expert you will give you the name of their eye condition. At first, taking in this information is not easy, and you may feel like you want to find out more information on the internet.
Not all of this information will be accurate though – so we’ve put together a list of definitions that will help you to understand eye conditions in children. We’ve also included some internet resources you can trust.
For further support you can also contact our Family Support Service. Our specialist Family Support Officers have many years’ experience of providing support in this area and will be happy to explain any terminology that confuses you.
Eye conditions explained
- Possible indications of a vision impairment
- Eye conditions in children
- Early diagnosis
- Common misconceptions about vision impairment
- Tips on completing Disability Living Allowance and Carer’s Allowance Forms
- Professionals supporting your family
- Tips for parents on accessing social services
- Jargon buster
- Answering your child's questions about sight loss
- Supporting brothers and sisters
- Coping with the loss of your dog